We’ve set the date!
Bunaken Oasis Dive Resort will be opening on
23rd July 2016
We are on schedule for our July opening, with the main construction and infrastructure set for completion by the end of April. The
cottages are looking fabulous, the freeform infinity pool is almost tiled, and the view from the panoramic restaurant is breathtaking.
Our jetty across the sea grass to the edge of the lagoon has been started, and is scheduled to take until June. It is being built avoiding any damage to the reef, and will ensure a dry landing for both guests’ arrivals and departures, and divers, and will also enable jetty access for snorkellers and divers to the house reef, mandarin evening dives and local night dives.
The dive centre is currently being roofed. It is really spacious, with a huge custom-designed camera room, and plenty of storage for our guests’ equipment. We have a separate classroom that will be equipped with a large 4K/UHD television, suitable for photographic groups, to use as well as diving students.
The furniture for the cottages and restaurant is all being made from local, sustainably-sourced hardwood by a team of carpenters from Bunaken. We’ve purchased additional land to the west of our site. This extra land will primarily act as a garden for our resort, with the majority of the remainder being left as natural jungle. We look forward to offering organically-grown fresh salad, vegetables and home grown fruit in our restaurant.
Kiki is our first purpose-built fibreglass catamaran dive boat. She is soon to launched from Bitung and brought round to Bunaken for finishing. At 17.5m x 5.5m, she will offer a luxurious diving experience to complement the rest of the resort. Her specification includes fixed camera rinse tanks, a fresh water deck shower, kitchen and toilet facilities, a dry internal salon and a topside sunbathing deck. Powered by 2 truck engines, she will take divers in comfort to over 50 dive sites within the National Marine Park, as well as bringing sites that are further afield within easy reach. Our second catamaran, Sonnega, will be identical to Kiki, and will follow later this year.
We also have 2 large wooden dive boats under construction by specialists on Bunaken, and due for launch in April. Both offer spacious accommodation, with fresh water camera rinse tanks, a fresh water shower, on-board snacks and toilet facilities - and they will be fast, powered by 2 x 100hp four stroke engines.
Our fleet of boats will also include 2 taxi boats and a supplies boat, all also under construction.
A bit more work this time, with several days in Bali selecting suppliers for the resort, as not
everything is available in Manado. However we still managed a bit of diving. Despite being the rainy season, we only had three rainy days out of twenty, but there were some amazing night-time downpours.
There were some interesting currents, but thanks to the shape and position of Bunaken, there are always more protected areas and, as always, the critter life did not disappoint.
We are delighted to be working with Scuba Travel as our exclusive UK specialist
agents. For package options, please visit their web site or call them on +44 (0)1483 411 590
or 0800 072 8221 from the UK.
Bunaken Oasis - at a glance
- 12 large, beautifully-appointed cottages, with balcony to enjoy stunning sea views, and a modern stylish bathroom. High quality linens, towels, robes and slippers. Some cottages can convert to twin configuration.
- 1 cottage is 2 bedroom for families, and another is a 2 storey “double decker” - ideal for friends coming on holiday together, or for families with older children.
- Freeform infinity pool with extensive sea views.
- Long House reception/lounge with tea, coffee and snacks.
- Air conditioned reading library.
- Panoramic restaurant with spectacular views, offering exceptional cuisine.
- Multi-level chill-out cocktail bar, next to one of our waterfalls, where guests can unwind in the evening.
- A two-room spa offering a full range of massages and specialist treatments.
- Spacious dive centre designed with the photographer in mind.
- Dive boats designed to offer comfortable, spacious and luxurious facilities.
- On-site water makers so all water is drinkable within the resort. Water dispensers within each cottage and public areas.
- Free nitrox
- Free laundry
- Free transfers to/from Manado airport